Rabbit Hemorrhagic Disease Virus (RHDV) is a highly contagious disease affecting wild and domestic rabbits. RHDV2 is nearly 100% fatal in rabbits and has been reported in the Southwestern USA in the past year. As of June 2021 it is active and present in the Bay Area, California (where SaveABunny is located). Please see the HRS RHDV page for in-depth information and to see if the virus is present in your area.
SaveABunny vaccinates all bunnies prior to making them available for adoption. We’re also hard at work establishing quarantine protocols for all incoming bunnies as well as implementing heightened cleaning procedures.
Bringing Your Bunny Into the SaveABunny Facility
We now require ALL bunnies to have been vaccinated at least 14 days before physically entering the SaveABunny site. This includes those entering to board at SaveABunny, bunnies who visit for bonding as part of our adoption process, as well as any bunnies coming by for grooming/nail trim services.
Bay Area vets/clinics offering RHDV2 vaccinations
Vaccine in stock
(As of July 2021) Please be aware that vaccine availability changes quickly. Because state law requires an exam prior to vaccination we’ve listed each price where known, but prices may change. Some clinics may also require your bunny to receive a microchip (if they don’t already have one).
- Aptos: Del Mar Pet Hospital, (831) 688-2016, $35, call for info on mass vaccine clinics
- Berkeley: Berkeley Dog & Cat Hospital, (510) 848-5041, $128.50, booked one month out
- Davis: UC Davis, (530) 752-1393
- Del Rey Oaks: Avian and Exotic Clinic of Monterey, (831) 647-1147, $60 exam + $35 vac
- Elk Grove: Kittel Family Veterinary Practice, email email@example.com for wait list, $40 exam/vac
- Livermore: Ohana Animal Hospital, (925) 394-4990, current patients only
- Martinez: Oasis Veterinary Hospital, (925) 954-8087, current patients only
- Novato/Marin: Dr. Debra Scheenstra, (415) 893-1554, current patients only
- San Francisco: Bay Area Bird & Exotics, (415) 566-4359, $80 exam + $36 vac
- San Francisco: VCA All Pets Hospital, (415) 861-5725, $95 exam + $65 vac
- San Jose: Camden Pet Hospital , (408) 265-2200, $76 exam + $42 vac
- San Jose: Oakridge Veterinary Clinic, (408) 419-9238
- Santa Cruz: VCA Animal Hospital of Santa Cruz, (831) 427-3345, $65 exam + $67 vac
- Santa Rosa: Heritage Veterinary Hospital, (707) 576-0764, $35, current patients only
- Scotts Valley: Exotic Pet Clinic of Santa Cruz, (831) 440-8590, $79 exam + $47.50 vac, booked about a month out
Does NOT have vaccine, on backorder, or has run out
(As of July 2021)
- Berkeley: PETS Referral Center, does not do vacs of any kind
- Capitola: Santa Cruz Veterinary Hospital
- Cupertino: West Valley Pet Clinic
- Hayward: Chabot Veterinary Clinic, (510) 538-2330, on backorder
- Los Altos/Los Gatos: Adobe Animal Hospital
- Napa: California Pet Hospital, no longer sees rabbits
- Oakland: VCA Bay Area Animal Hospital, (510) 654-8375, on backorder
- San Jose: VCA Orchard Plaza Animal Hospital, (408) 227-9110, don’t know when will get more
- Sunnyvale: Sunnyvale Vet Clinic, (408) 736-8296, waiting list, getting more soon